Friday 25 April 2014

[cobirds] lazuli bunting, etc., larimer co. foothills

Just had a molting male at my feeders.  Another early record for me at my house, previous early record was 5/2.  Also at home today, a hairy woodpecker, probably a migrant.

Other news from around my home, Cassin's finches seem to have moved on, broad-tailed hummingbird numbers have increased to at least three (including at least 1 female) house wrens arrived yesterday and have already made themselves at home, some white-crowned sparrows showed up today, and American Kestrels are nesting in my neighbor's roof.  A Common Poorwill and Great Horned Owl continue to call each night/early morning. Spotted towhees and Lesser and American goldfinches seemed to have increased in the last day or two.  Overall rather birdy and pleasant, and so far the migrants seem a bit early, if I dare say.  If only the robins would stop attacking their reflections in my windows.

Also of note at horsetooth mth park today (aside from the black-throated gray warbler), was a pair of red crossbills that have been calling almost daily in the area above the trails that traverse the lower slope of the mountain.

Happy spring birding,
 
Arvind Panjabi
5700' feet, Larimer County, CO
On the north slope of Milner Mtn
Mountain mahogany shrubland and grassland

No comments:

Post a Comment