Sunday 27 April 2014

[cobirds] Last Chance (WashCo), Union Res (Weld) 4/27

Hi Everyone—

 

Today 4/47, on my way back from SE Colorado, I stopped at Last Chance and Union Reservoir. At Last Chance, birds were hunkered down in windbreaks. I saw nothing rare, but I thought 8 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were a decent number. Other migrants included a Townsend’s Solitaire, several Hermit Thrushes, a flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers, and several Pine Siskins mixed in with American Goldfinches. Union Reservoir was busy. Franklin’s Gulls dotted the reservoir. I estimated at least 200 were there. There were many Western Grebes, a single Clark’s Grebe, a few Eared Grebes, one Horned Grebe, and one Pied-billed Grebe. Along WCR 28, I saw a flock of maybe 30 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, along with 3 Forster’s Terns. The only shorebirds were 3 Killdeer at the north end and 3 Least Sandpipers at the south end.

 

To clarify Brenda Linville’s post from yesterday, the two Millers present at Tempel Grove were me and Lynne Miller of Colorado Springs, no relation. (We apparently arrived at Tempel Grove several hours too late, and left Lamar several hours too early.)

 

Mark Miller

Longmont, CO

 

No comments:

Post a Comment