Sunday 27 April 2014

[cobirds] Jeffco FOY Black-chinned HB

Had my FOY male Black-chinned Hummingbird at my back patio feeder (44 degrees) about an hour ago.  Still have not had a Broad-tailed Hummingbird here yet.  I get both spp all summer.  Have photographed BTHU nests in the neighborhood every year, but haven’t found the BCHU nests yet.  But they must be nearby.  Will keep looking.

 

Also, alas, my Say’s Phoebes did not return in early April this year after 3 yrs of nesting in my box.  I have seen at least two Say’s Phoebes on the pdog fenceline at the north side of N Table Mt Park daily every spring and summer since I moved here in May 2008.  But NONE seen to date this year.  Are there few insects on the prairie this spring?  Or did that assumed particular pair perish?  Unanswerable.

 

Kay

 

Kayleen A. Niyo, Ph.D.

Niyo Scientific Communications

5651 Garnet St.

Golden, CO 80403

303.679.6646

Kay@KayNiyo.com; www.KayNiyo.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment