Saturday 9 December 2023

[cobirds] House Wren, Goshawk - Arapahoe

I wrote an appropriately lengthed post about my encounters today with a House Wren and American Goshawk in Centennial (Arapahoe). But Google ate the post, because of some problem with the images I embedded.

I rewrote the post for my blog, but it's too flowery now for here (literally and figuratively), so I'll cut to the chase in what is now my third attempt at describing these encounters.

A House Wren was at Willow Spring Open Space in Centennial today. I figured the wren-like bird was going to be a Winter Wren, which would be a state bird for me. Somehow the wren was both a rarer bird (for the month) and a far more common bird all at once.

A Northern Goshawk was in my neighborhood. I encountered him (I think him, as the hawk didn't seem enormous) while walking my dogs and without a camera. (I know!?!?!?) I hurried the dogs home, got my camera, and got a few decent photos.

The Goshawk was gone in about thirty minutes. So while he may show up again in the area, he's not exactly chase-able (maybe).

It's odd and fun to encounter birds like Goshawks when you're not expecting them, nor even ready for them. I hope not soon to forget the late-September encounter with a Summer Tanager (adult male) while I was very much not birding, trying to walk off what then seemed like a ruined back with a slow, short walk up my street.

Full narrative of today's outings on my blog

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/98836711-fbb2-4eeb-8a07-d619f552fe55n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment