Tuesday 27 April 2021

[cobirds] Swainson's Hawk Pair - Arapahoe

Like magic or a miracle (from my limited vantage), Swainson's Hawks return to the deKoevend Park area in Centennial, CO (Arapahoe County) every spring and seem to immediately pair up. Yesterday, I had my first sightings of the bird this year -- but I have not been birding, so they were likely here sooner. I was drawn outside by two enormous shadows over my chicken coops. The pair was riding a thermal together over my and my neighbors' yards. Today, the two shared one of the massive transmission towers that runs behind a street away from me, screeching and surveying the area together. (These towers are scheduled to be replaced with even larger ones. I'm not sure if / how that will eventually change hawk use of the towers.)

What a privilege to share a portion of a life and a portion of land with these birds.  

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO




--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5229141b-6ef2-42f0-bb1e-fd388613e6e7n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment