Tuesday 27 April 2021

[cobirds] Rigden Reservoir, Fort Collins on 4/27/21 (Larimer)

Since I am unable to attach photos to eBird checklists for some reason (my server?), I wanted to share a few pics with you from Rigden Reservoir in eastern Fort Collins.  It was very birdy, and during the last half of my four hour visit, very wet.  I was forced back to my car to protect my optics, or else I'd probably still be there.  Total of 52 species including a few that were new for me for 2021 (Bank Swallow, Wilson's Phalarope and Semipalmated Plover).  Finally, swallows in big numbers and mixed species were down over the water scarfing midge adults.  A good number of both Franklin's and Bonaparte's Gulls (soon to be "Greater Black-headed Gull" and "Lesser Black-headed Gull", respectively?) were over the water and on the shore eating midges.  The highlight of the visit was a whopping total of 64 Willets.  I don't think I've ever seen that many Willets in one place, not even at the ocean shore.  What a lovely wing pattern they have in flight!

                                                                        One American Avocet and 44 avocet wannabes. 

 
                                                           The famous "Say Hallelujah On One Leg" yoga position.


Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment