Monday 17 February 2020

[cobirds] Swamp Sparrow with . . . Bobcat!

The Swamp Sparrow and Tree Sparrow continue along Clear Creek W. of I-70.
More exciting is the Bobcat sleeping during the day in the same area!
Hope I'm not violating any protocols of this Group, but I don't know many birders
who wouldn't be interested in this sighting.

The person who alerted me to it said it was seen hunting in the very early
morning, I think today and yesterday.  

In spite of the fact that it is sleeping in the sun in a sheltered spot on the north bank, it is extremely
hard to see, partly because he's generally lying still and keeps his head in the shade.
I can't sign an affidavit that it's a bobcat, but I saw his greyish head and eyes pretty well
even though it was in the shade. and I believe I saw his stubby tail.  His body is a warm
brown, but I could not see its dimensions.

Along the top of the north bank there is a line of utility poles which ends well before the
bridge and dam to the west.  The cat was sleeping a little to the east of the third pole from the
end, not far up from the water.  To protect the animal, I won't give any more detail.
You are unlikely to see it, but the mere possibility will spice up your walk, I hope.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/a8f357eb-6d60-4e30-9120-02948444e505%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment