Thursday 29 August 2019

[cobirds] Weld County and Larimer County Shorebirds

Hi CoBirders,

First, I have a question… for anyone who has been to Wellington State Wildlife Area - Cobb Lake Unit in the last two weeks to view or take photos
of shorebirds, can you tell me where the shorebirds are ? I went around CR 58, Cr 56, and CR 3, and I could not find what looked like suitable
habitat. The large ponds I found were surrounded by vegetation.

I stopped at CR 74 and CR 61in Weld County. I was getting set up with my scope and camera, when a large pickup with a large man stopped behind me.
He was friendly, but started asking questions….why was I there, what was I looking at. I told him I was looking at and and trying to
photograph birds. I was on the side of the road. He said it was a public road, and he worked for dairy farms in the area. He said there
had been people coming around trying to check out the Organic dairy operations. He took a photo of my license plate, and again told
me it was a public road, again telling me about people coming to the area to check on the daily farms, and then left. So if you stop there, be aware.
There is a large house or building east of the pond, I wonder if someone from that building called security ?

At that pond were two Marbled Godwits, 6 Black-necked Stilts, 8 Long-billed Dowitchers, and 40 Franklin's Gulls.

BeeBee Draw CR 42 ponds were bone dry, and very little water and no shorebirds on CR 48 Lower Latham Area in Weld County.

Larry Wilson
Northglenn

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/35A31AF5-D992-4158-933E-74187012C403%40comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment