Friday 30 August 2019

[cobirds] Golden-winged Warbler---Jeffco

This morning while getting ready for work. I noticed a grayish-white bellied bird flitting and feeding on the underside of our cherry tree leaves.  I initially thought I had a possible Warbling Vireo.  I grabbed my binoculars and was stunned to see a beautiful male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER!!!  I had phenomenal views of the bird as he stopped to eat his catch on an unobstructed branch for about 8-10 seconds. If anyone knows me, they know I have pride in getting a photo to verify any rare to uncommon bird.  I ran to my vehicle to get my camera, which took no more than 20 seconds, to find the bird was nowhere to be found. I watched the yard for the next 10 hours, but the bird did not return. My observation throughout the day was that the hummers where extremely aggressive, chasing all small flitting birds out of the yard, and they even chased out two Western Tanagers attempting eating Golden Elder berries.  When I left to get the camera, the Golden-winged seemed content feeding near the water feature.  The last thing on my radar was seeing this beautiful migrant since migration has not hinted of any eastern migrants so far along the front range.  This is why I love fall migration...you never know!!


  

Mark Chavez
Lakewood-Green Mtn
http://jaeger29.smugmug.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment