Wednesday 21 August 2019

[cobirds] N Waterthrush (2), CSR, El Paso Co, Wed.

Hey COBirders,

It continues to be hot and slow for banding at Clear Spring Ranch. (Very slow). The quick passing cold front that went though last night DID bring in a couple good birds, My FOS MacGillivray's Warbler (Hatch-year female, and two Northern Waterthrush (#2, #3 for the season, 1 adult and 1 Hatch-year).

Other than that - it is slow. I am currently only catching about 10 birds each morning (20 is a good day, 30 is great - I have only had 20 twice this month). I am not sure how much is the stagnant air - with clear nighttime skies and no fronts, and how much is poor breeding success farther north this summer.  Are there migrants that are just going by without stopping because the weather is so calm? Maybe I'll have an answer in a month!

Oh, and for those who commented on possible moon watching last week - August, the prime time to scope out the full moon and see passerines cross the face - I saw 3 birds in 2 hours over three evenings. Apparently not much movement, at least in the early evenings.

Good birding, 
Steve Brown
Colo SPgs


No comments:

Post a Comment