Tuesday 27 December 2016

Re: [cobirds] Nest-building by Eurasian Collared Doves today

I just saw Marty's post about Eur Collared Dove nesting in NW Colorado Springs. While I haven't seen nesting in my yard (300 yds from Marty, in Mountain Shadows), I did get to watch copulation on my deck by the same species last week. I averted my eyes at the proper moment, to quote Fate Dunaway.

Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 27, 2016, at 8:53 PM, macawolf via Colorado Birds <cobirds@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi, Cobirders,

I was a little surprised by a pair of Eur. Collared Doves this morning building a nest from 8-9 am, in 32 F... 

Birds of North America online says they breed from February to October, but will do so year-round in warmer climates. I know we had a warm fall, right into November, but lately it hasn't been so warm. The winds had died down finally (for 6 hours or so, as it turned out), so maybe it felt downright balmy & got them twitterpated for a spell... They were on the south-facing (sunny) side of a spruce, so maybe the micro-climate there added to their confusion? Our new Second CO Breeding Bird Atlas indicates breeding between late January thru the end of August. I haven't taken a close look to see what progress they made, but after more than a dozen trips I witnessed by the presumed male with single 4-6" pieces of grass stem, they seemed to stop the activity. Either came to their senses, or finished the job?? I'll have to look more closely tomorrow.

Marty Wolf,
NW CO Spgs

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/159438fa324-5056-24b88%40webprd-a40.mail.aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment