Sunday 24 April 2016

[cobirds] Something to grouse about (a couple reports from Jefferson and Arapahoe)

Recently I posted about my sighting of a Dusky Grouse at the base of the hills where Massey Draw exits its rocky canyon in Ken Caryl Valley, and I also noted a report from my neighbor across the street telling me that that he had very recently seen a "Blue Grouse" (i.e., Dusky) in his yard and on his roof. He seems to be a keen observer, but I doubted, particularly given the suburban setting of the neighborhood. Yes, we do live very near the base of the hills and near wild habitat, but grouse amid the houses, lawns, and plantings of a suburban development? Does that happen?

Thinking not, I was fairly shocked early this morning as I opened my front door, heading out to fill the feeders. There was a male Dusky Grouse moving across my front lawn, not 30 feet out from me! It spooked and went up into a low tree and I went to find my phone for a quick photo. But when I got back out a minute later he was not there. 

Later I went to my neighbor to share my sighting and he brought out his iPad and showed me photos he had captured of his sighting, showing a male Dusky Grouse perched on our neighbor's roof! That was April 10. I didn't know he had photos. I suppose it is likely that the male I saw in my yard is the same individual. My neighbor has lived here for 25 years and says he has never seen one before near our street. Do Dusky Grouse visit suburban developments much, if the general location is reasonable?

Also early this morning, I stopped at South Platte Reservoir, where the three wintering Long-tailed Ducks had recently been reported to eBird. They were still there this morning, foraging right around the JEF/ARA county line. The male of the trio is really starting to look nice. A flock of 18 White-faced Ibis flew by, too.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RoobExE09ohAQ20SaQM-g96bcHF8twh_1qbNUfopmBA1iQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment