Saturday 30 April 2016

[cobirds] Orange-crowned Warbler and other snow birds, Estes Park, Larimer Co.

Continuing our spring (though it seems like winter up here) visit to Estes Park, on my morning walk today in the snow I found a first-of-year Orange-crowned Warbler on the west end of Estes Park. No other eBird reports yet for this year up here. I also encountered a large flock of Ruby-crowned Kinglets feeding together in a couple of ponderosa pine. Numbers of Myrtle and Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warblers are increasing even with the snow. This being my first visit in April, I've been surprised at the numbers of Myrtle Warblers I've seen. Here in Estes Park, and a few days ago in Colorado Springs, they seemed to outnumber the Audubon's Warblers that I observed. It would be interesting if eBird did a dynamic map showing the migration of each form to see if Myrtle moves through somewhat ahead of Audubon's which will stay to breed here in the foothills and mountains.


I had a large flock of what I believe were American Pipit fly over me headed toward Rocky Mountain National Park. I didn't find any eBird reports for Pipit up here yet for this year. Flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles seemed to be staging this morning, presumably waiting for the snow to clear so they can move on up to breeding areas.



Always something interesting to discover in the world of birds.


Jim Nelson
Bethesda, Maryland

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/249885.347521.1462044318561.JavaMail.root%40vms170019.mailsrvcs.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment