Tuesday 26 April 2016

[cobirds] Bluff Lake - Denver (and a mention of Adams)

26 April 2016
Bluff Lake - Denver

The water was as high as I've seen it at Bluff.  No shorebirds at all.  I did have a couple of avocets, 4 Snowy Egrets flew over, Say's Phoebes, Black-crowned Night Heron, and a lot of Yellow-rumped Warblers.  

On my way home, I drove by the playa north of 56th Ave between Nepal and Piccadilly (a mile or two east of Tower).  There was only a Lesser Yellowlegs and a dowitcher.  Due to distance and my shorebirding skills atrophying over the winter, I couldn't tell you what type of dowitcher I was looking at.  Generally speaking, when it comes to them, I just spuh-tter around anyway.  Wow, that was just awful.  I apologize.  


This playa has been there each of the past few years in various sizes.  It will never attract enough interesting birds to be a destination spot, but if you happen to be driving that way, you may want to give it a look.  There is a wide dirt pull off on the south side of the road.  For county listers, anything on the south end of 56th at that spot is Denver county.  Everything to the north of the road is Adams.  

John Breitsch
Denver, Colorado
https://www.flickr.com/photos/breitschbirding/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/34ee45dd-f843-4dbc-bcbe-74f01e961810%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment