Thursday 11 February 2021

Re: [cobirds] Gyrfalcon Larimer

Hey Sean and Derek,

Sorry for the late reply but I've only recently joined the COBirds group!  I'm starting to doubt my light-morph Prairie Falcon ID on Horsetooth Rock itself one week ago (Thursday, February 4th) now that I've seen all of the Gyrfalcon reports.  My brain hadn't thought to consider it, but the location and size would check out for the Gyrfalcon.  The bird in question was perched in a way that I thought might be a nesting site, but it was also puffed up and appeared to be the size of a large snowman head (same color as snow, so a very light morph, with some flecks on the breast), which leads me to believe it was bigger than a Prairie Falcon.  I had a visual on its head and could see the "tears" on its face, but unfortunately didn't have my camera on me.

I'm still working on getting better at IDs but figured I'd throw my two cents in just in case it helps anyone, even if a week late.

Best,
Andrew Monson
Fort Collins, CO

On Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 5:59:07 PM UTC-7 Sean Walters wrote:
Hey Derek,

I had the Gyr just south of that site (in Pineridge Natural Area) January 20, roughly 4:30 in the afternoon. It was perched briefly on one of the large power poles before flying west toward Horsetooth Reservoir. In subsequent searching, I haven't seen it again. 

Sean Walters
Fort Collins, CO

On Feb 5, 2021, at 7:14 PM, Derek Hill <derekt...@hotmail.com> wrote:


COBirders,
Has anyone seen the Larimer County Gyrfalcon lately? Last update I see is from the day after Christmas so I thought I'd share.  This afternoon 5 Feb 2:45pm at a job site in SW Ft. Collins at the northeast corner of W. Drake Rd & Overland was quite the bird. This is just below the S end of Horsetooth Reservoir. At first glance coming head-on I took it to be just a Red-tailed Hawk doing their rowing flight they often do to power on through at low altitude. As it very quickly passed overhead the wingshape and cadence quickly made it obvious this was no Buteo!  The absolute thickest bodied, most massive falcon I've ever seen. It was so fast I didn't get much of a study, but enough. No black armpits, pretty unremarkable pattern, but the massive body and wide wings were astounding. The only other Gyr I've seen was the Texas bird several years back, which never left its perch during our observation. So, the first time seeing a Gyr in flight is something else.
Good birding,
Derek Hill
Loveland, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cob...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/69ae1b5b-7a84-4a36-9e83-c47053232220n%40googlegroups.com.

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c44b859f-433b-4bf6-b303-de001bb3969fn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment