Monday 22 February 2021

[cobirds] Jaw Dropping Gull Movement - Arapahoe

Most years, many, many gulls head west-east at dawn and east-west at dusk over University & Arapahoe (approximately) in Centennial. This year, the movements are astounding. At dusk this evening, thousands and thousands of gulls -- mostly Ring-bills I'm sure but perhaps some Herrings and others -- flew westward over my home. The numbers seem far greater than in previous years. It was as stunning as flocks of nighthawks or Sandhill Cranes, but magnitudes greater than what I've seen locally. 

I was outside to care for my chickens and, so, didn't have my binoculars. Tomorrow, I might watch a bit more closely. I harbor the dream of getting a yard Lesser Black-backed Gull. If anyone has tips for ID'ing gulls in flight, from hundreds of feet below them, in the poor light of dusk, I'd love to hear it. 

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/a7e590e0-b132-4097-b9dc-469286240cafn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment