Wednesday 31 October 2018

[cobirds] Finally, in Boulder

I've wanted to see a White-throated Sparrow in Boulder County for nearly 25 years. Whenever one is posted on Cobirds or eBird, I race off to try to find it, but I've always dipped, and trudged away from the site with the feeling that White-throated Sparrows are birds that other people see in Boulder. 

Until today.

After work, I wandered over to the Boulder Community Gardens a block away from my home, in hopes that I might catch a decent photo of a starling or a robin. 

As I was photographing a White-crowned Sparrow in the lovely horizontal light of a late-October evening, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if a White-throated Sparrow popped up right here?" And then, as if cued by an off-stage director, a White-throated Sparrow popped up, literally exactly centered in my camera's viewfinder. I didn't even have to re-focus.  I just pressed down on the shutter button, and there it was. 

Wow.

Other cool birds at the Boulder Community Gardens:  two adult-plumaged Bald Eagles sparring with each other in mid-air.  I managed a decent photo of them, too. Three Cedar Waxwings, which also posed for my lens.  And a first-of-the-season American Tree Sparrow perched in the fading light.

If you'd like to see the photos, they're here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49588574.

Good birding everybody. This October has been a magical month for Boulder birds.

Richard Trinkner
Boulder

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAG_%3D4zfi_GMaheVr29gt2QOOWT3B_%3DE5mgXyU8BhCLt4wxmUQg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment