Tuesday 24 January 2017

[cobirds] Northern goshawk Arapahoe County, late post

I had looked at a bird on Sunday and hadn't figured out what it was until I saw David Suddjian's post about a juvenile northern goshawk. A goshawk didn't occur to me at all and so I tried to make it into a juvenile Red tailed hawk although I wasn't the least bit satisfied with my assessment.

The bird flew low over the playground and then up onto a telephone pole. I didn't have good binoculars with me so I was looking through my tiny pair that I leave in the car. I had noticed a blue tinged back and wings with just a faint eyebrow and heavy markings on it's breast. I also noticed a heavy area of white undertail coverts that seemed very large for other hawks I had seen.

A red tailed hawk moved to the top of another telephone pole, about 30 yards away.
Anyway, I really appreciate David's post because it seemed so obvious after I realized that a goshawk was in the area that I slapped my forehead and said "doh"!
Deborah Carstensen, Arapahoe County
Located 1/2 mile south of Bowles on Platte Canyon Road.
Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2D412E30-1296-4431-BD31-724A29540CB2%40aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment