Sunday 26 February 2017

[cobirds] Greenwood Village Birding (Arapahoe Co.)

On Thursday, while driving home from DIA, I spotted an all white goose with some Canada / Cackling at West Middle School (Belleview & Holly) in Greenwood Village (Arapahoe). I couldn't tell, while driving on far side of Belleview, whether it was a Snow or Ross's. But either would be my first in my home circle and also bird #150 in that circle, so it was hard not knowing. I finally had a chance to go out and look for the goose today. I wasn't especially optimistic that it would still be hanging around the grass inside the middle school's track, but as I approached the school, I saw a white goose among the white-cheeked. I was able to watch the bird for a while and take some decent shots, which I believe show the goose to be a Ross's. Small bill with a grayish base & no real grin patch, relatively small stature, & rounded head. Photo below.

 



While at the school, I heard a day-calling Great Horned Owl. And a trio of Mountain Bluebirds flew over, only my second sighting of them in the area.

From the school, I headed to Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve, hoping to get a better look at Mountain Bluebirds. I didn't see any, but I did see the White-throated Sparrow for the first time since early February. A Lesser Scaup, my first at the preserve & in my home circle, was a pleasant surprise. I looked for but did not find the Northern Shrike that's been at the preserve all winter, but I did get to watch the Harlan's Red-tail that's been around since November circle over the preserve a few times.


- Jared Del Rosso

Centennial, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/51a87484-dc37-447c-8eed-fec154af1910%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment